Winter melon, also called Ash Gourd, is highly popular in China. When I was young, we grew numerous winter melon vines virtually every year. When we did not have such an abundance of food, particularly meat, I disliked it.
The typical size of a winter melon was huge, and we might have it for several days. And to make matters worse, it lacks a unique or distinctive flavor.
Nonetheless, I appreciate blank ingredients more as I grow. They are compatible with the majority of other components.
Ingredients And Seasonings
- 1 pound of winter melon, skin removed and sliced into cubes.
- 2 big ribs sectioned into portions
- 3-4 red dates
- 0.5 grams of dried shrimp
- Chopped green onion for garnish
- chopped coriander for garnish
- 1 thumb of ginger, crushed; salt to taste
For most soup recipes, I use a high-pressure cooker or instant pot if you like. The rice and high-pressure cooker are essential small kitchen appliances in Chinese cuisine. And they are truly outstanding assistants.
If you do not have one, I strongly advise purchasing one. During my workday, I complete all of the cooking staff within 30 minutes, often a traditional Chinese menu consisting of a beef dish, stir-fried vegetables, salad, and soup.
Guide On: Sheet-Pan Pork And Veggies Recipe: Quick & Easy To Make!
While the rice cooker is steaming rice, the high-pressure cooker is either preparing a soup or braising a pork belly in a red sauce. I may start my bread machine for the next morning’s breakfast.
- Place the ribs in clean water, bring to a boil, and simmer for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer out and wash under running water.
- Winter melon should be peeled and then sliced into large bits.
- After boiling, cook the red dates, dried shrimp, mashed ginger, ribs, and winter melon in a high-pressure cooker for 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can use a stew pot or slow cooker to simmer the ribs and winter melon until tender.
- Add salt before serving.
- Add chopped green onion and coriander to the bottom of the dish. Then transfer the soup to a mixing platter.
It is not advisable to add chopped spring onions and coriander immediately to the large pot of soup since they are easily overcooked and lose their freshness.
Read More: How Much Pulled Pork Per Person
Meat, bones, or ham are necessary complements for winter melon. There are numerous choices: Winter soup made with melon and fresh meatballs, Winter melon soup with ham, dried shrimp, and black mushrooms.
- 110IU Vitamin A
- 13g Protein
- 9g Saturated Fat
- 3g Carbohydrates
- 28mg Calcium
- 86mg Sodium
- 21g Fat
- 232mg Potassium
- 70mg Cholesterol
- 7.9mg Vitamin C
- 1.8mg Iron
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is winter melon cooling?
Like most green vegetables, winter melon is considered a yin food in traditional Chinese medicine, implying it has refreshing qualities. It is renowned as an alkaline fruit having a neutralizing and cooling impact on the body.
2. How do you cut a winter melon?
- Using a knife, remove the skin and discard it.
- Separate the melon into four equal sections and then into eight sections.
- Remove the extremely tender portion containing the seeds and discard it (it has a bad mouthfeel after cooked)
- Cut or cube each portion of the melon into pieces of uniform size.
3. Does winter melon need to be cooked?
In contrast to watermelon, the flesh and seeds of this fruit are white; it is rather flavorless and cannot be consumed uncooked. Winter melon recipes typically call for steaming, simmering, or parboiling; nevertheless, they can become mushy if overcooked.
4. Can winter melon seeds be eaten?
Winter melons can reach over a foot in length and 40 pounds in weight. Its oblong shape and dark green, waxy coating resemble a huge watermelon, although some specimens are spherical.
In contrast to watermelon, the flesh and seeds of this fruit are white; it is rather flavorless and cannot be consumed uncooked.
The BEST Pork Banh Mi Lettuce Wraps Recipe: Quick And Easy!
pulled pork mac and cheese
Pulled Pork Internal Temperature 205